Date: Monday – November 14, 2011
Meeting Notes and Links:
Walter Murch at the Boston SuperMeet
"In Conversation with Walter Murch" This is the FIRST public appearance by Oscar and BAFTA Award-winning editor Walter Murch since the launch of Final Cut Pro X
Murch's Rules, “The Rule of Six" (VIDEOLINK)
According to Walter Murch, when it comes to film and film editing, there are six main criteria for evaluating a cut or deciding where to cut.
1. Emotion – How will this cut affect the audience emotionally at this particular moment in the film?
2. Story – Does the edit move the story forward in a meaningful way?
3. Rhythm – Is the cut at a point that makes rhythmic sense?
4. Eye Trace – How does the cut affect the location and movement of the audience's focus in that particular film?
5. Two Dimensional Place of Screen – Is the axis followed properly?
6. Three Dimensional Space – Is the cut true to established physical and spacial relationships?
Dov S-S Simens' 2-Day Film School (Link)
Pixel Flow (LINK) (Free Two Months of Service)
- 1st 30 Minutes: Your Questions / Problems / Video Critiques
- Industry NEWS and discussion.
- Adobe MAX 2011 Sneek Preview of Software (Link)
- Motion 5 – The Forgotten App. It is pretty good…
- Review: Dov S-S Simens' 2-Day Film School Voted "America's #1 Film Instructor" by the National Association of Film Schools (Link)
- Suggestions for Next Month
- End (8:30PM On Time)
UCSD Digital Arts Center